[Return to Core Genealogy Topics List]
Church Records - Pre-civil registration in Canada before 1869 - Before the Vital Statistics Act came into effect in 1869, records were not collected centrally by the government. To find these early records, researchers must refer to church records. Often you can find the religion of your ancestor from census information.
Ancestry Library Edition Database
The following topics relating to church records are available and may be searched in Ancestry Library Edition at any BPL public computer:
- Ontario Marriage Notices 1830-1856
- Ontario Roman Catholic Marriages 1827-1870
- Marriage Notices of Ontario 1813-1854
- French Canadian Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection) 1741-1967
- Please note that content is updated regularly so we suggest that you take the time to explore.
Books & Print Materials
(BUR) refers to non-circulating items located in the Burlington History Room. To view these items, please present your library card or other identification at the 2nd floor Information Desk, Central Library.
(RR) or Ready Reference, also (REF) or Reference, refers to an item that must be used in the library.
- Checklist of Parish Registers 1986, by National Archives of Canada, 1987 - 016.9293 NAT (RR)
- County Marriage Registers of Ontario, Canada, 1858-1869, by W. E. Britnell - Halton County Index is found in vol. 11; 35 vols. include the following counties - Brant; Bruce; Durham; Elgin; Essex;Frontenac and Kingston City; Grey; Haldimand; Halton; Hastings; Huron;Lambton; Lanark; Leeds and Grenville; Lennox and Addington; Lincoln and Welland; Middlesex; Norfolk; Northumberland; Ontario; Oxford; Peel; Perth; Peterborough; Prescott and Russell; Prince Edward; Renfrew; Simcoe; Stormont and Dundas; Toronto City; Victoria; Waterloo; Wellington; Wentworth; York- 929.3713 COU (REF)
- Death Notices from the Canada Christian Advocate, 1858-1872, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1992 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Death Notices from the Christian Guardian, 1836-1850, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1982 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Death Notices from the Christian Guardian, 1851-1860, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1984 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Death Notices of Ontario, [1810-1849], by William D. Reid, 1980 - 929.3713 HEI (REF)
- Guide to the Holdings of the Archives of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario, 1990 - 929.3713 GUI (REF)
- Index to Niagara Conference Methodist Episcopal Church Baptismal Register, 1849-1866, by Louise Hope, 1994 - Part 1, A to L; Part 2, L to Z - 929.3713 HOP (REF)
- Marriage Bonds of Ontario, 1803-1834, by Thomas B. Wilson, 1985 - 929.3713 WIL (REF)
- Marriage Registers of Upper Canada/Canada West, by Dan Walker, 1995 - Vol. 13, Gore District 1842-1856 - 929.3713 MAR (REF)
- More Notices from Methodist Papers, 1830-1857, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1986 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- More Notices from Ontario's Methodist Papers, 1858-1872, by Donald A. McKenzie,1993 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Marriage Notices of Ontario, [1813-1853], by William D. Reid, 1980 - 929.3713 REI (REF)
- More Obituaries from Ontario's Methodist Papers, 1873-1884, by Donald A. McKenzie, 2001 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Obituaries from Ontario's Christian Guardian 1861-1870, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1988 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Obituaries from Ontario's Christian Guardian 1873-1880, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1996 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Obituaries from the Canada Christian Advocate 1873-1884, by Donald A. McKenzie, 1998 - 929.3713 MCK (REF)
- Ontario Marriage Notices [1830-1856], by Thomas B. Wilson, 1982 - 929.3713 WIL (REF)
- Researching Canadian Religious Records, by Ryan Taylor, 2001 - 929.1072071 TAY
- Roman Catholic Marriage Registers in Ontario, Canada, 1828-1870, by Renie Rumpel, 1997 - 929.3712 RUM (REF)
- Vital Records in Ontario Before 1869: a Guide to Early Ontario Vital Records, by Fawne Stratford-Devai, 2003 - 929.3713 STR
- Vital Records of Upper Canada/Canada West, by Dan Walker, 1998- - 929.3713 VIT (REF) - v. 1. pt. 1. Niagara District, 1795-1856 -- v. 1. pt. 2. Niagara District, 1792-1849 -- v. 2. pt. 1. Gore District, 1818-1857 -- v. 2. pt. 2. Gore District, 1824-1869 -- v. 2. pt. 3. Gore District, 1806-1869.
- Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register: Halton County, 1829-1897: a Transcription: a Genealogical Reference, 2001 - 929.3713533 WES (BUR)