Genealogy & Local History Links
Resources in Halton - local resources for historical and genealogical
- Burlington Historical
- Burlington Newspaper Index - search the Burlington Post, Burlington Gazette and Burlington Journal articles and announcements. Includes limited content relating to Burlington from The Hamilton Spectator.
Marriage Registers 1858-1869 - includes Halton and Wentworth Counties
available on microfilm at the Archives of Ontario.
- Directory of Heritage
Properties in Burlington
Census Index, 1842-1901 - search the Census of Halton County by
head of household.
- Halton News (Newspaper Index) -
search various Halton newspapers. Depending on the newspaper, some results retrieve citations and you may then refer to the microfilm of the specific newspaper located within Halton libraries. Other results include digitized copies of pages.
- Halton Photos - these databases have a a number
of images in common.
- Burlington Images - a searchable photo database currently contains 2100 images from
the Burlington Historical Society photograph collection and the
Ivan Cleaver postcard collection.
- Halton Images - search
a collection of images of the past from Halton County - created
and maintained by the public libraries of Halton Region, the Burlington,
Esquesing, Milton, Oakville and Trafalgar Township Historical Societies
using software developed by HALINET and OurOntario.
- Oakville Images
- Halton Region Museum
Historical and Newspaper Records: A Searchable Database - search
more than 300,000 local history records online. Included are: births, marriages and deaths, Census (now available for all of Halton 1842-1901), land records, surrogate court records, military records, business directories and more
- Heritage Burlington
- Illustrated Historical Atlas of Halton County
- Milton Historical Society
- Museums of Burlington
- Oakville Historical Society
- Oakville Museum
- Ontario Genealogical Society - Halton-Peel Branch
- Ontario GenWeb - Halton County - includes the former townships of Esquesing, Nassagaweya, Nelson and Trafalgar
- OurOntario.ca -
digitized collections from libraries and museums including texts, atlases, images, script music, audio and video material.
Township Historical Society
Births, Marriages & Deaths
Indexes & Registrations (Archives of Ontario)
Online indexing and digital images are available for the following Censuses of Canada.
- Lifenews.ca - search obituaries, memorials, anniversaries, births, weddings from Metroland Media and Torstar. Includes regional sites and The Spec.
- CanadianObituaries.com -
currently in Ontario, for regional obituary notices in: Durham Region, Toronto & GTA, Halton Region, Waterloo Region, Barrie, Orillia, Peterborough County, Northumberland County, Niagara Region, Hamilton - Wentworth Region, City of Kawartha Lakes, Hastings and Prince Edward Counties.
- Obituaries.com - newspaper obituaries from the U.S. and Canada
- Your Life Moments - obits from various cities across Canada - from Canoe.ca and Sun Media
Land & Property Records
Wills & Estates
Accreditation & Professional Associations
Booksellers & Publishers
Gazette - An online family history magazine published by Global
Genealogy based in Milton, Ontario. Articles of interest to everyone
from the beginning family researcher to experienced genealogists. Upcoming
Family History & Heritage Events are posted here.
- Global Genealogy - a bookstore
and publisher located in Campbellville, Ontario, with products and services
for the family historian.
Genealogical Society Online Store
DNA & Genetics
Genealogists Helping Genealogists
Genealogy Resources For Other Countries
England and Wales
Loyalists (United Empire Loyalists)
Maps & Gazetteers
- The Books of Remembrance - contain the names of Canadians who fought in wars and died either during or after them. All the books are kept in the Memorial Chamber located in the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill.
- British Forces [in Canada] - from Library and Archives Canada
- Canadian Forces Before 1914 - from Library and Archives Canada
- Canadian Forces after 1918 (including Second World War) - from Library and Archives Canada.
- Canadian Military Heritage Project - find Canadian ancestors in in free searchable military databases for each war and rebellion involving Canada.
- Canadian Military History Gateway - from the Government of Canada
- Canadian Newspapers and the Second World War - During the Second World War, the staff of the Hamilton Spectator kept its own monumental record of the war. This collection of more than 144,000 newspaper articles, manually clipped, stamped with the date, and arranged by subject, includes news stories and editorials from newspapers, mostly Canadian, documenting every aspect of the war.
- Canadian Virtual War Memorial (CVWM) - a registry of information about the war graves and memorials of Canadians and digital images of photographs and memorabilia. Searchable by name and directly linked to the digitized Books of Remembrance.
- Central Ontario Branch of the Western Front Association (COBWFA) - dedicated to remembering the contribution of the Canadian military from Central Ontario and British Forces who served on the Western Front in France and Belgium during World War I.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission - established by Royal Charter in 1917, the Commission pays tribute to the 1,700,000 men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died in the two world wars.
- First World War - from Library and Archives Canada
- French Regime - Military - from Library and Archives Canada
- German Troops - from Library and Archives Canada
- Juno Beach Centre - a museum and cultural centre which opened at Courseulles-sur-Mer, France on June 6, 2003. It presents the war effort made by all Canadians during the Second World War.
- Loyalists - from Library and Archives Canada
- Military Medals - from Library and Archives Canada
- Royal Canadian Legion
- War Diaries - from Library and Archives Canada
- War Graves - from Library and Archives Canada
Television Programs & Documentaries